ATTORNEY AT LAW
John Kinn has been helping business and individual clients successfully resolve their legal disputes for more than 25 years. John has tried complex cases to jury verdict, bench decision, and arbitration award. He has represented real estate developers from California, Arizona, and Washington in a variety of matters, ranging from complex construction defect and contract disputes to summary unlawful detainer proceedings. He vigorously defends attorneys from claims of malpractice, most often through effective and economical summary judgment or anti-SLAPP motions.
Born in Salinas, California, John Kinn worked in agriculture, pharmacy, and retail before moving south for his education at UCLA and then University of San Diego School of Law. He tried cases for the San Diego County District Attorneys Office until beginning his civil practice in Redwood City, California at the law firm of Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner & Kane. John moved to Sacramento in 1989, where he has handled litigation from San Diego to Eureka.
At SEGAL & ASSOCIATES, John focuses his practice primarily on litigating commercial and industrial real estate, business, and professional negligence disputes. He also handles employment and contract actions. He has represented parties in fiduciary breach and insurance bad faith cases. In addition, John has represented litigants involved in intellectual property, business tort, commercial lease, and mineral rights cases. As a testament to the loyalty of his clients, many continue with John as their attorney even though he is located many miles, and in some instances, several state lines away.
• John Kinn successfully defended an overseas and domestic subsidiary in a jury trial in a False Claims Act Qui Tam case in the Central District of California where the judge directed a defense verdict after the plaintiffs case was fully presented.
• Represented a Missouri window manufacturer at trial before San Mateo County Superior Court to a defense judgment.
• Represented Washington and Arizona individuals and development companies in complex real estate litigation.
• Defended multi-party construction defect litigation before San Francisco and Santa Clara County Superior Courts.
• Tried real estate contract, nuisance and waste action in Sonoma County Superior Court through successful defense judgment.
• Represented local developer in successful rescission and damages action before the El Dorado County Superior Court.
• Defended local restaurant owners in lease dispute through trial before Sacramento County Superior Court, resulting in clients' defense judgment and ownership of the leased building.
• Represented multiple family members in a multi-million dollar real estate and business partition action.
• Represented Arizona franchisee in contract dispute.
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1987
- University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- B.A. - 1983
- Real Estate Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Professional Negligence Disputes
- Complex Civil Litigation
- California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Western District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
Current Employment Position
- District Attorney's Office, San Diego County, Certified Legal Intern, 1986 to 1987
- Ropers, Majeski, Kohn, Bentley, Wagner & Kane, San Mateo County, Civil Litigation and Insurance, 1987 to 1989