ATTORNEY AT LAW
Malcolm Segal focuses his practice on defending businesses and individuals in white collar criminal investigations and in complex civil litigation.
For over thirty-five years, his clients have included international, regional and local companies, as well as professionals in medicine, the law, real estate, and agribusiness. He regularly represents individuals and corporations under investigation and in legal disputes as the result of their interactions with government agencies and often represents public and elected officials, legislative committees and government agencies. For many years he has represented individuals, including public employees, in need of an attorney as the result of having been subpoenaed for testimony by federal and state legislative committees.
Malcolm Segal, born and raised in New York City, began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney's Office in New York City. He was later appointed Special Attorney-in-Charge of a United States Department of Justice, Federal Grand Jury Strike Force in Central Texas. After several years of service in Texas and Los Angeles, he joined the United States Attorney's Office in San Francisco, as an Assistant United States Attorney. He was then appointed and served as First Assistant United States Attorney, and as the Chief of the Criminal Division, for the Eastern District of California, with offices in Sacramento and Fresno. During his government service he received numerous awards for his work as a federal and state prosecutor.
After leaving the government, Malcolm Segal served as managing partner of a litigation firm and, for a time, was the Sacramento based managing partner and member of the Board of Directors of a national law firm largely devoted to government affairs and litigation. He presently serves as President of his law firm, Segal & Associates, PC.
Malcolm has been listed for over thirty years in the national publication Best Lawyers in America; as a Northern California Super Lawyer by San Francisco Magazine; and been listed as one of Sacramento Best Lawyers by Sacramento Magazine. He has been named by Sacramento Business Journal as among the Best of the Bar and is recognized as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Northern California by San Francisco Magazine.
Among his community activities, he has served on the Advisory Board of Sacramento Child Advocates; as Board President of Planned Parenthood of Northern California; on the Board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Association of Sacramento; as well as on various other committees of organizations acting in the public interest.
• Malcolm Segal has represented businesses in highly regulated industries, including nationally prominent wineries, attorneys, securities dealers, firearms wholesalers and distributors, members of the tobacco industry, and other licensees, in federal, state and local inquiries, investigations and litigation.
• Served as litigation attorney to numerous health care providers in the defense of federal and state medical and business fraud investigations, including leading a team of attorneys in a nationally followed health care fraud investigation which included state and federal investigations, hundreds of medical malpractice claims, multiple civil qui tam actions, administrative debarment matters, insurance coverage issues and other parallel litigation.
• Represented numerous individuals and businesses in federal and state tax fraud investigations and prosecutions.
• Represented international and national agricultural, ranching, manufacturing, construction and other companies in criminal and administrative inquiries regarding claimed environmental and endangered species violations, and in the defense of other criminal prosecutions and civil litigation arising from business activities.
• Defended corporations, officers, employees and professionals in federal and state litigation, including securities fraud and business fraud.
• Represented multi-national and regional corporations in defense of alleged customs fraud, transfers of regulated products and administrative penalty investigations.
• Represented elected and appointed officials in federal, legislative and administrative investigations and prosecutions involving alleged misconduct in office.
• Represented individuals and property development and management companies in complex real estate litigation.
• Served as special counsel to the California legislative committee investigating the conduct of public officials and implementation of federal statutes and represented individuals called before Congressional and state legislative committees.
• Defended regional and local companies, professionals and other individuals in employment, hostile work environment and harassment related lawsuits.
- St. John’s University School of Law, New York, New York
- Law Review: St. John’s University Law Review, Associate Editor
- City College of the City University of New York, New York
- White Collar Criminal Investigations and Prosecutions
- Medical and Medicare Fraud
- Complex Civil Litigation
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- Best Lawyers in America
- Northern California Super Lawyers, San Francisco Magazine
- Best Lawyers, Sacramento Magazine
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Top 100 Attorneys in Northern California
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubble
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Federal Bar Association
- Lecturer, United States District Court, Eastern District Conference
- Lecturer, California State Bar
- Lecturer, Continuing Education of the Bar
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Member
- Sacramento County Superior Court, Arbitration Panel, Appointed Pro Tem Civil Settlement Judge and Member
Current Employment Position
- Advisory Board of Sacramento Child Advocates
- Board President of Planned Parenthood of Northern California
- Board of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Association of Sacramento
- New York County, Assistant District Attorney
- United States Department of Justice, Austin, Texas, Attorney in Charge, Office for Drug Abuse Law Enforcement
- San Francisco, California, Northern District, Assistant United States Attorney
- Sacramento, California, Eastern District, First Assistant United States Attorney
- Chief Criminal Division United States Attorneys, Eastern District
- Fraud Bureau, Assistant District Attorney